Before and After.
I seldom like the look of most RV interiors and this was no exception. I also knew there was some water damage to the flooring, so gutting and repairing was going to happen. Why not make it suit my tastes and needs while I was at it? The underflooring needed to be replaced, the dinette and sleeper conversion was a bit of overkill for me. I am not a big fan of the fake wood cabinets and linoleum floors, and do I need to mention the upholstery??? So I redesigned the dinette area to have a more permanent and comfortable desk/dining table, planned to put in wood flooring, paint the cabinets and die the upholstery. This involved removing every single bit of the dinette, the wiring, plumbing, water tank so I could first to do the underfloor. I discovered more damage to the front wall as well after all that was removed.
Here is a sequence of the work that took place over three weeks during one of the worst winter storms in North Carolina history.
Some of the details that made me happy: I opened up a space in the overhead bunk (I wouldn't even have trusted a small child sleeping up there!) to expose a small bookcase, and the rest of the space holds camera gear and office stuff. It can be opened to get full access to everything. I added unique handmade mexican ceramic knobs to all the cabinets. I found a great vintage wooden table that fit perfectly in the space I opened up by eliminating one side of the dinette. I added a vintage diner chair that I already had, and is very comfy. I was gifted some cool pillows by Lori Vrba and some stained glass that Brad Johnson had left at his old house in Efland. One of the most useful changes was adding an armature for the TV/Computer monitor. It floats over the table so that I can easily pull the table out for dinners. It is articulated and enables me to adjust it to see from the desk, the couch or the bed! I had a few leaks after putting everything back together, but I was able to solve that fairly well. If I were to do anything differently, it would be the floor. I was concerned when I saw how thin the original subfloor was. My fear was that if I went thicker with that and then put the wood laminate on top, I wouldn't be able to open some cabinets. Even after adding some additional supports, I still find the floor to be a bit squishy. This sometimes causes the laminate floor to separate. If I am motivated this spring, I might rip all that out and put in some stronger plywood with a nice finish on it and stain and polyurethane that instead.